Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Go and Do Likewise
Well, I told you I'd be right back. Yesterday, I was listening to some archived talks on the web from R. J. Rushdooney and from Dr. Francis Schaeffer, which got my gears grinding, which is precisely why I listen to them in the first place. I was sharing some of what I heard with one of my close friends and counselors and he reminded me that one of the ideals that Rushdooney propogated was that Christians should stop their middling around and complaining bitterly about other people taking their individual and collective profits and using them to re-shape the world into a place which lines up with their ungodly worldview. Rushdooney's point was that Christians should be doing the same exact thing, using our individual and collective (pooled) resources to invest in businesses opportunities, making some serious Kingdom impact. Let me provide you with a short list of very high profile companies just for starters:
1. American Family Radio-a network of more than 180 radio stations broadcasting Christian-oriented programming to over 40 states.
2. Chick-Fil-A-You have to be living under a rock not to have heard of this company.
3. In and Out Burger-At the owner's request, you will find Bible verses printed in inconspicuous places on various cups and wrappers.
4. Daystar Television Network- President and CEO, Marcus D. Lamb, began preaching at the age of fifteen and by 27-years-old he became the youngest person to ever form a television station in the United States. As one of the fastest growing Christian television networks in the world, Daystar proves that a Christian owned business can thrive, owning and operating over 70 TV stations across the U.S.
5. Five and Dime Productions-Brothers, ASU Alums and TV and Filmmakers Dave and Rich Christiano
6. Mary Kay-Mary Kay's motto is: "God first, family second, career third."
7. Wendy's-Founder Dave Thomas was was often quoted as saying, "You can be anything you want to be within the laws of God and Man."
8. Interstate Batteries-Their mission statement reads: "To glorify God as we supply our customers worldwide with top quality, value-priced batteries..." As one of the most reliable Christian owned businesses around today, they've become the number one replacement brand battery in North America.
9. Zondervan Publishing-Their more than 5,000 Bibles, books and other faith-based products are sold in more than 60 countries around the world. Zondervan is definitely one the best Christian owned and operated businesses setting an example for others who wish to bring faith into their finances.
10. EMI Christian Music Group-Founder Billy Ray Hearn has said, "I've always been led by the importance of doing what God says to do," and he takes pride in representing his beliefs through his business.
11. Big Idea Entertainment-Big Idea is responsible for the popular series of children's videos better known as "VeggieTales," which features talking vegetables such as Larry the Cucumber.
12. eHarmony-The company's founder, Dr. Neil Clark Warren, is an evangelical Christian who has been widely supported by the Christian community.
13. Bott Radio Network-based in Overland Park, KS with 61 current affiliates across the U.S.
Think about it folks. The next one could be you...or me.